Sunday, May 8, 2011

Lord of the Rings, Sydney Opera House Style.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in January when I was in the state of limbo where all of my friends were back at school but I was sitting around at home waiting to catch a plane, I decided to look at what would be at the Sydney Opera House while I was on the continent.  It just so happened that there was something REALLY cool scheduled for my birthday weekend, so I got Charlie on board and we got tickets for something four months in advance (completely unlike the procrastinating, spontaneous college kids we are).

This weekend, the time finally came around to make the trip to Sydney for an Opera House date!  What was the amazing show worthy of such premeditation?  A showing of the film The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.  The catch-- the music for the entire movie being performed live on stage by the Sydney Symphony, the Sydney Philharmonia Choirs and the Sydney Children's Choir.  Needless to say, it was mind-blowing.


Here's the view from our seats on the very back row (since we're poor university students and all).  They told us that we couldn't take pictures, but I've never been that great at doing what is expected of me... so you get a sneaky peak.  Fun Fact: (according to Wikipedia) "The Sydney Opera House Grand Organ is the world's largest mechanical tracker-action pipe organ."  It was really big and I'm sure it sounds amazing-- another time.    


Now, I'm ruined.  Even with the best sound system, nothing will ever compare to watching the movie with the live musical performance.  It was especially awesome for Charlie because he just went to New Zealand and was able to see lots of places where the movie was filmed, but we can't all be that cool.  We had a *lovely* time :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this! I want to get my boyfriend tickets to the Pirates of the Caribbean one that is coming up but was scared that the cheap seats would have a bad view. Can see from your awesome photos that it will still be great. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!