Friday, June 3, 2011

On the home stretch

It's my last week in Oz, which is kinda sad.

We have been squeezing in all of the things that we have said we would do all semester, but never got around to doing-- visiting the Australian War Memorial, eating kangaroo, having a house barbecue, going to a tea room and looking for platapus in the wild, among other various things.  It's crazy how it all is about to come to an abrupt end.  Tomorrow is my last full day in Canberra, and I will turn in the keys to my apartment.  Saturday, my roommate flies home, and I will go home with one of my neighbors for a night, come back to Canberra for a night, then head to Sydney on Monday.  Wednesday morning I catch a plane, and begin the long trip back to Tennessee.

Right now, my bedroom walls are bare and my room is torn to pieces with piles of stuff everywhere-- things I'm packing for good, things I still need to use for the next week of roaming, things I'm leaving as rubbish and things I'm leaving in a friend's care to give to exchangers next semester.  It's sad to see it all get shoved back into luggage, but it will be good to be home again.  It will also be nice to pull the same trick I used in January and ditch this winter weather to dive into summer.  Sunshine will be nice, but a lot of very sad goodbyes have to happen between now and then.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you passed up the opportunity to use "platypi" even if it is technically incorrect. Plurals ending in "i" are the greatest.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!