Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tastes of Australia

Since my last post was such a Debbie-Downer, I figured I should come back and introduce you to the things I have been introduced to here that I love so much, I may sacrifice some clothes space in my suitcase in order to bring back with me.

First of all, I think this is just adorable.  Who wouldn't want a tasty caramel-filled koala?!

But back to business.  Before I came over, I had heard rumors of "TimTam" cookies and how they are pretty much Australia's favorite.  I was on a mission once I got here to procure a pack to taste and see if the hype is legit... and wow, they ARE the best cookie!!  Excuse me, *biscuit*  How to explain..... Delicious chocolaty goodness?  Chocolate wafer with chocolate filling covered in chocolate.  There are heaps of variates, too!  I just tried double-dipped, and there is a pack of white chocolate ones on my desk just begging to be opened.  It is a proven fact that you can not eat only one single TimTam.  In fact, they are best eaten in groups of two, three, or even by the pack, although I suggest buying small packs if that is what you prefer.  



A great companion to the chocolaty goodness of TimTams is Milo.  Milo is something akin to NesQuik, but like everything else in Australia, has spent millions of years isolated on the continent evolving further and further from its ancestors elsewhere in the world, becoming something unique unto itself.  It is a form of malted barley and cocoa that you mix into milk or water.  It does not dissolve quite as easily as the chocolate mixes I am used to-- you are meant to stir a bit, but leave some floating around to eat off the top (it's actually crunchy), and then drink the chocolaty milk left over.  Genius!  


BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!
If you think TimTams and Milo both sound good, you would love them combined!
As I mentioned before, there is wafer inside of the TimTam, so if you eat off the chocolate coating on the short ends of the cookie, you can use it as a straw!  This is EVEN better if you are drinking hot Milo, that way the TimTam starts to melt before you drink much, and you then eat the warm, soggy, fudgy amazingness, and you can not help but to be overwhelmingly happy.

(P.S. Dr. Canary, thanks to these guys, I am definitely going to need an appointment with you when I get back... )

Now for the experience everyone wants to know about:  Vegemite.  I knew I had to try it while I am around, but I'm not going to lie, I've been scared.  In talking to different people, even some Australians can not stand it, so I was not at all sure that I could.  

One of my housemates came in last week with the neighbor's toaster, announcing is was the day of reckoning and that the Americans would try Vegemite.  He toasted some bread, applied a good layer of butter and then smeared on a LIGHT layer of Vegemite, one for Nikki, Charlie and myself.



(Never ever just stick your finger in a jar and eat a scoop.  It is an Australian way of killing unsuspecting tourists.)
It was.... different than anything I have ever experienced.  It is extremely salty.  I mean, most all you taste is an oily saltiness, saltiness enough to make even very Southern, sodium-loveing people looking for a glass of water.  If it is mostly butter and the Vegemite is veryvery thin, I can handle it, but then why not just put some salt on buttered toast?  I have a bad picture of the ingredients, but if you look, all it involves is yeast and salt.  


Recap:  Chocolaty things are great!!!!!  Dodgy Australian spreads are still a bit dodgy, but can be chased with CHOCOLATE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!